Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 22:30:21 -0500
From:      Tadayuki OKADA <tadayuki@mediaone.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        tadayuki.okada@windriver.com, mi@aldan.algebra.com, will@csociety.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/graphics/gd Makefile pkg-comment

Hello Alexander,

First, let me summarize what's you're saying.
You admit that PORTREVISION bump is necessary.
To upgrade ports, one should use portupgrade.
# BTW, it's not 'portupdate'.
It's an improvement because people can chose not to
updadte shlibs.

Do I understand you right?

About PORTREVISION, Mikhail thinks otherwise.
On Wed, 23 Jan 2002 20:43:09 -0500 (EST)
Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> wrote:
> The  reason  port  A  needs  upgrading should  not  be  the  PORTREVISON
> somewhere,  but  the mere  fact,  that  port B,  for  which  there is  a
> lib-dependency, is  being upgraded. If portupgrade does not do  this, it
> should -- always -- with or without my modifications.
But you think it's necessary, right?

About portupgrade, I think people should be able to handle ports with base
system. But if you think otherwise, I won't argue about it.

One thing I want to ask you is:
Why optinal knob is no better than Mikhail's proposal?
With the knob, people actually can chose to update shlib or not to.

> What if this port only works with freetype library versions greater than
> 4?
Please check ports/graphic/gd/Makefile. I just added '.ifdef'.
If you can accept his change, why not this?

Regards,
--
Tadayuki OKADA