Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 16:44:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, lpoulsen@utilicom.com
Subject:   Re: Strange NFS Problem

> I am running a mostly Linux shop, but have a single FreeBSD workstation to
> support an application which is only available for FreeBSD. I am NFS exporting
> a 4GB /home file system from DIANA, my main Linux file server, and importing
> it to ATHENA, which runs FreeBSD 2.2.7.
>
> Users on ATHENA (the FreeBSD system) can read files on DIANA:/home,
> and they can create very small files, but if they try to write a file of
> moe than
> about 70 bytes, they get "FILE TRUNCATED" errors, and nothing gets written.
>
> It looks to me as if writes work when the data fits in the inode, but fail
> when
> a data block has to be allocated. (Does Linux use that storage scheme ?
> I know BSD does.)
>
> 1) I thought this might be due to user limits, but the "limits" command says
>     everything is unlimited
> 2) NFS mounts from a HP-UX system work fine (I have an HP-16601 Logic
>     Analyzer which access the same file system via NFS).
>
> Has anyone else seen such a thing ? What could cause this ?

 First - I'm dying to know what application is only available for FreeBSD!
(That's a good sign!)

 Second - when you say NFS mounts from an HP-UX system, do you mean
HP-UX <-> LINUX    or     HP <-> FreeBSD?

 Third - I believe there were some NFS bugs in the 2.2.x branch that
were not fixed.  (Seems like I saw that mentioned on the -hackers list)
When 3.1 comes out (next week?) you might consider upgrading to that.

	- Dave Rivers -