Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 23:48:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Doug Wellington <doug@sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

> >Java is here to stay whether we like it or not  [...]
>
> Is this REALLY true?  I mean, will Java continue to be a "force"?

For awhile.

> Or is this just another phrase from the spin doctors?  Lots of people
> have sworn that lots of languages were the end all of programming -
> look at lisp/scheme, ada, visual basic...  (All have loyal followers,
> but how much of a "force" are they?  ...well, visual basic...  hmmm...)

Most of these languages weren't written up in the press on a daily
basis, and touted as the 'best of breed' in programming languages.
Something will come along that's better in the future, but for now Java
is *the* language.

> What is The Real Deal(tm) with Java anyway?  Once you get through
> the hype, is Java anything more than C++ without pointers?

Java is C++ w/out pointers, w/out multiple inheritance, and the ability
to run on multiple platforms w/out recompile.  It's the 'ultimate' in
portability, although M$ and others are trying to muddy the waters by
making 'platform specific' extensions for it.

> If the world becomes dependent upon applets, then maybe Java has a
> place, but when everyone realizes that it is just the mainframe
> mentality repackaged for the nineties, will it really last?  Do we
> really want to be dependent upon some server somewhere for what are
> really just throw-away viewers?

Whose 'we' Kemosabe'? :)

For 'intranets' (the current buzzword which has replaced
'enterprise-wide network), applets are a great way to go.  You can leave
the low powered PC on everyone's desk (maybe even a 'Network Computer')
which runs applets which talk to the main server.  However, you can have
multiple 'servers'.  The push for 'Data warehousing' and other
meaningless names makes it easy to push for Java.  For those zillions of
programmers who have been doing Win32 programming (aka, the API of the
day), Java is a way out.

> Do we even have the bandwidth to do it?

Java applets decreases bandwidth in many cases.  There is no longer the
need for 'server push', and instead you can get everything in one shot
by using an applet.

Java is much bigger than the WWW, especially if Sun has it's way.

Nate