Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:52:17 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        julian@elischer.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current 'make buildworld' record (non SMP)?

In message: <Pine.BSF.4.21.0301171640090.10888-100000@InterJet.elischer.org>
            Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org> writes:
:
: I was testing a new machine and it did a "make buildworld" in about
: 18:47.
:
: I was impressed..
:
: 2.8GHz P4, 2G ram. src, obj on 2 x SCSI drives on separate controllers.
: (there are more but they were not involved)
:
: This is I might add for a 4.7++ world.

A 4.7ish buildworld on my dual MP2000+ box with a aac controller took
about 17 minutes to build.  Too bad current takes 30 minutes.  gcc is
slower because it is trying to produce better code is the biggest
reason, although some of the overhead is due to the kernel I'm
running.  -current takes about 28 minutes to build on the same 4.7+
kernel.  I've blown away the stable part of this box, so recreating
these numbers may be hard.

Warner