Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 11:09:59 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        alexis@harley.ios.com (Alexis Yashkov)
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, maral@webnet.com.au, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rlogin is blocked for quite a long time

> > > Im using rsh over local ether on Win95 to run xterm's.
> > >
> > > In .rhosts I have the hostname and the FQDN and it seems ok.
> > >
> > > ie.
> > > gate
> > > gate.co.uk
>
> Why should I put short names in .rhosts? I don't think this
> problem has something to do with name resolution.

Because the getpeername() call is used to determine the remote machine
name and if you have not correctly set your system up in the local
domain, then the local domain name will not be stripped, and the FQDN
will be used for verification.

The semantics are so icarus.foo.com and icarus.weber.edu (for instance)
aren't treated as if they are the same machine "icarus" in the local
domain.

Letting anyone with the ability to mung their local DNS record to one
of your host names into your machines without challenging for a password.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.