Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:42:59 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: burgers and thunks ???

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 06:17:19PM +0000, j mckitrick wrote:
> Okay, this is gonna sound weird, but I was looking for an email I apparently
> deleted that was explaining the concept of a thunk.  I found the
> explanation, but I vaguely remember a reference to a term starting with the
> word 'burger' that also was a programming technique used years ago.  Is
> their any such thing as a 'burgermaster'?  Or does anyone have any idea what
> I might be talking about?  :)

Oh God, that brings back memories from my youth, writing Windows 3.0
applications for fun and profit.  I first read about this in one of the
Charles Petzold books.

BURGERMASTER was the name of a segment maintained by Windows that
contained a table that mapped 'handles' (fake 'pointers' that most of
the Windows 3.x API returned when you wanted to manipulate something) to
actual memory locations.  As I recall, if you wanted to manipulate the
structure that contained information about a window, you would use an
API function to get the Handle, lock the Handle, convert the Handle to a
pointer (which is what the BURGERMASTER segment was for), diddle the
structure, then unlock the Handle.  Windows maintained the BURGERMASTER
segment itself.

The name was just a local restaurant of some of the Windows developers.
Doubtless a Google search will turn up more.