Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:12:36 -0600
From:      tom@geotec.net (Tom Jackson)
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, mjacob@feral.com, Tom Jackson <tom@geotec.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Have PDP

Been real scattered lately but appreciate the responses to my question.
Will more closely check out this treasure later. Most definitely *will not*
be dropping the unit from a high elevation, as Mike suggest :). I'll answer
questions about it when I get the time and will contact the group Greg
mentioned.

Later,

On Sat, Mar 06, 1999 at 09:18:05AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> writes:
> >> It's a boat anchor for running a full fledged Unix system,
> >
> > It "full fledged" refers specifically to uni with all the modern
> > gew-gaws and gizmos, sure.
> >
> > While it has been a long time, I could swear that not only was unix
> > *invented* on a PDP system (PDP8, if I recall),
>
> PDP-7.  UNIX never ran on the PDP-8.
>
> > and the 2.9 BSD was written for the PDP 11...
>
> All versions of UNIX from the First Edition (1970) until the Seventh
> Edition (1978) and 2.11BSD (still being developed) were written for
> the PDP-11.
>
> You want to contact the PDP UNIX Preservation Society.  Check out
> http://minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au/PUPS/.
>
> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Tom