Date:      Wed, 05 Aug 1998 09:15:54 -0700
From:      GVB <gvb@tns.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mail server...

Question, I have setup FreeBSD systems with sendmail and qpopper for use as
small mail servers for small ISP's and such, but have never dealt with REAL
hardware, and REAL loads.  I am faced now wiht the following situation.  I
need to build a mail server that will accecpt mail for over 50,000 users,
and theoretically about 500 users MAX at a time would be popping their
email.  I dont know the limitations of sendmail or qpopper and I dont know
what kind of load this is going to be putting on a system. Can someone make
some recomendations for me as far as hardware goes, and the software used.
>From what I understand, sendmail will work for this kind of load, but
qpopper isnt a wide choice for this much traffic?  I will need HUGE amounts
of hard drive space so any recomendations on RAID controllers and such is
also appriciated.  Also, does FreeBSD take advantage of dual processers? Is
this going to be PC hardware that will be able to handle this load or am I
talking some other hardware?  Thanks..

gvb@tns.net
GVB