Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2011 02:33:54 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nh@tisys.org>
To:        s-tlk@s-tlk.org
Cc:        x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hybrdid Graphics

Michael Schnell wrote:

> In the end I try different things then and the only one that seems to
> work was to install the newest nvidia driver from their homepage and
> select the graphic card with the BusID option in the xorg.conf file.
> So far it's working great with high performance, as usual with the
> nvidia driver, on FreeBSD 8.2-RC1 amd64. One drawback is the
> increasing
> power consumption, but still it runs more than 4 hours.

Hi Michael,

good suggestion, I tried the "official" nVidia driver and it would,
unfortunately, just plainly reset my whole system (no panic, just a
complete reset) when trying to start X. ;-)

But in other news, my latest research results:

1) The "nv" driver, before leaving my screen in an "unrsponsive" (but
indeed ssh-reachable state) seems to start up normally, but then
complains about:

"NV(0): Failed to determine the amount of available video memory"

I'm unsure, but when I look at this:

https://github.com/mkottman/acpi_call

then it seems entirely possible that this dedicated card first has to be
enabled by means of some ACPI call before it can be used. So...:

2) I shifted my focus on the "intel" GPU and driver instead. That one
seems to be active at boot by default, I've tried it with Linux: The
Intel GPU on my machine is no problem there, but the nVidia thing makes
headaches too. So, like I said, I focussed on the Intel GPU and found
the following:

which in turn links to:
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/developer/GEMdrmKMS/

Quote:
"It is especially vital for Linux drm GEM, TTM, KMS code to be ported
immediately to the BSDs because developers are in the process of
removing userland modesetting code from current graphics drivers."

And indeed, now I remember something: The "default" Intel X11 drivers
that the ports collection wanted to install (xf-video-intel) didn't yet
know my specific Intel GPU and thus wouldn't recognize it. So I
installed "xf86-video-intel29", which had a IGNORE line stating "Waiting
for GEM", which I did just override. So I guess I can try as long as I
want to, I won't have too much success until this stuff is actually
ported to FreeBSD so that "xf-video-intel29" (or a subsequent version)
is actually usable.

Question: I'm on 8-STABLE currently, if I switched my machine to
-CURRENT for a moment, would I already find enough GEM / KMS stuff in
there that I would at least have a remote chance to get my card to work
and could probably even provide input / testing for the porting process?
Or is the GEM / KMS stuff so far away that I should better stay away
from it for the time being?

Greetings,
Nils