Date:      Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:11:11 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Cc:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
Subject:   Re: How/why would dev.cpu.0.freq_levels change??!?

On Sunday 29 June 2008 02:57:38 pm David Wolfskill wrote:
> I still don't know what the problems are, but it's apparent that
> something outside FreeBSD's control is misbehaving.  Given that, I
> suppose it would be unreasonable to expect FreeBSD to compensate
> in an attempt to enforce rationality.  :-(

Are you sure it is really a problem?  Presumably the machine is overheating or
something that is causing the BIOS to request that the CPU speed is lowered
(I wonder if Windows changes CPU speed when _PSS changes so that the  BIOS
writer figured changing _PSS was sufficient to force the CPU to be
throttled).  Presumably if the BIOS really is trying to protect the hardware
not doing what it wants might result in physical damage to the machine of
some sort.

--
John Baldwin