Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 16:14:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
Cc:        dxoch <dxoch@escape.gr>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum Question

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Roelof Osinga wrote:

>> dxoch wrote:
>> never succeed to use a > Vinum volume as a root
>> partition. Is it possible, and how?

> Last I looked it was not possible. Forgot the reason why, though.
> If interested then try the mailarchive, ought to be in there somewhere.

From what I understand, the boot-loader doesn't grok vinum partitions.  If
you wanted to get really complicated, you could boot from an MD image for
your root file-system and re-arrange things so that all the stuff that
needs to be dynamic lives on a vinum partition and just use the MD image
for booting.

Then you're fairly insulated from disk-failure -- root is in memory and
/usr + your other data is mirrored.

It is a hassle though.

Fred

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.