Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:54:57 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      Jacek Szostek <ind54@ci3ux.ci.pwr.wroc.pl>
To:        Joel Yancey <python@cia-g.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86

On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Joel Yancey wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Jacek Szostek wrote:
>
> >  I have installed XFree86 ver. 3.2 and configured XF86Config for S3 Trio
> > 64V+ ( 2Mb Ram ), which I have. I have set up the "640x480" and "800x600"
> > I have also set DefaultColorDepth in the screen section, but it is not
> > working.
> > When I launch X Window server, it reports using 6 bits per RGB value. I
> > have no idea why, maybe I do something wrong.
> > Can anybody help me ?
> >

> Try starting Xwindows with:
> startx -- -bpp16
> and see if this helps =)

Yes, I have set -bpp 16 option and it is working. Thank you for your help.
I have also tried other colour depths and noticed that the two depths do
not seem to work propetly. When I set the -bpp 8 option, X Window server
reported 6 bpp and when I set the -bpp 24 option, it reported 32 bpp.
I do not know why, but thank you again anyway.
						Jacek