Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 19:12:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alex Pilosov <alex@pilosoft.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Transition from modem PPP to PPPoE

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Brett Glass wrote:

> At 07:27 AM 4/1/2001, Wes Peters wrote:
>
> >Why use PPPoE -- you really prefer to toss away gobs of bandwidth?
>
> I don't see why it should be that inefficient. In fact, I've been
> thinking that due to header compression it might even be a bit
> faster.
It IS terribly inefficient. Header compression doesn't do much for you.
Ethernet over ATM overhead sucks enough, no need to add PPP headers.

> I'm doing it because we need a a machine on a wireless network
> to appear to be located at the hub. PPPoE creates a "tunnel" that
> does that. The way the network is set up, not all of the nodes can
> hear one another, but all can communicate with the hub. Using PPPoE
> makes the traffic go through the hub without subnetting (which
> would require reconfiguring many machines, some of which I do
> not administer). Could you suggest a better solution?

I'm hacking on a 'magic box' solution, which will essentially listen for
ARP packets from box A to box B, reply with its own MAC, and then forward
ethernet packets back onto the same wire, rewriting the MACs
appropriately.

-alex