Date:      Wed, 9 Nov 2016 07:45:41 +0100
From:      Sebastian Huber <sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Should page allocator zero the pages for UMA?

On 08/11/16 15:55, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 08, 2016 at 03:07:42PM +0100, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> we use the FreeBSD network, USB and SD/MMC card stacks for the real-ti=
me
>> operating system RTEMS:
>>
>> https://git.rtems.org/rtems-libbsd
>>
>> I update currently from FreeBSD 9.3 to head. We use the UMA from FreeB=
SD
> [...]
>>       union {                /* cached L3 information */
>>           struct route inpu_route;
>>           struct route_in6 inpu_route6;
>>       } inp_rtu;
>> #define inp_route inp_rtu.inpu_route
>> #define inp_route6 inp_rtu.inpu_route6
>> };
>>
>> initialization. The initialization consists of two parts:
>>
>> static int
>> udp_inpcb_init(void *mem, int size, int flags)
>> {
>>       struct inpcb *inp;
>>
>>       inp =3D mem;
>>       INP_LOCK_INIT(inp, "inp", "udpinp");
>>       return (0);
>> }
>>
>> /*
>>    * Allocate a PCB and associate it with the socket.
>>    * On success return with the PCB locked.
>>    */
>> int
>> in_pcballoc(struct socket *so, struct inpcbinfo *pcbinfo)
>> {
>>       struct inpcb *inp;
>>       int error;
>>
>> #ifdef INVARIANTS
>>       if (pcbinfo =3D=3D &V_tcbinfo) {
>>           INP_INFO_RLOCK_ASSERT(pcbinfo);
>>       } else {
>>           INP_INFO_WLOCK_ASSERT(pcbinfo);
>>       }
>> #endif
>>
>>       error =3D 0;
>>       inp =3D uma_zalloc(pcbinfo->ipi_zone, M_NOWAIT);
>>       if (inp =3D=3D NULL)
>>           return (ENOBUFS);
>>       bzero(inp, inp_zero_size);
>>       inp->inp_pcbinfo =3D pcbinfo;
>>       inp->inp_socket =3D so;
>>       inp->inp_cred =3D crhold(so->so_cred);
>>       inp->inp_inc.inc_fibnum =3D so->so_fibnum;
>> [...]
>>
>> This lets at least inp_route uninitialized leading to a crash during
>> destruction, e.g.
>>
>>       if (inp->inp_route.ro_rt) {
>>           RTFREE(inp->inp_route.ro_rt);
>>           inp->inp_route.ro_rt =3D (struct rtentry *)NULL;
>>       }
>>
>> uses uninitialized data.
>>
>> Did something in the page allocator change between FreeBSD 9.3 and
>> trunk, so that page are now zero initialized or is this a bug in
>> udp_inpcb_init()?
> Nothing guarantees that returned items are zeroed out automatically.
> Pages are not returned zeroed by VM page allocator, it might indicate
> that the allocated page happens to be zeroed by PG_ZERO flag.  Unless
> M_ZERO is passed to uma_zalloc(), item is not zeroed.
>
> I am not sure, you did not demonstrated zone initialization, but it see=
ms
> that your zone is having zone init function.  If this is true, than I d=
o not
> see why do you consider it possible to have items automatically zeroed =
at
> all.  Uma calls the init function at the bulk allocation time, and cons=
tructor
> for each item returned by uma_zalloc().  No implicit zeroing occurs the=
re.

Now, I am a bit confused. We have

/*
  * Allocate a new slab for a keg.  This does not insert the slab onto a=20
list.
  *
  * Arguments:
  *    wait  Shall we wait?
  *
  * Returns:
  *    The slab that was allocated or NULL if there is no memory and the
  *    caller specified M_NOWAIT.
  */
static uma_slab_t
keg_alloc_slab(uma_keg_t keg, uma_zone_t zone, int wait)
{
[...]
     /*
      * This reproduces the old vm_zone behavior of zero filling pages th=
      * first time they are added to a zone.
      *
      * Malloced items are zeroed in uma_zalloc.
      */

     if ((keg->uk_flags & UMA_ZONE_MALLOC) =3D=3D 0)
         wait |=3D M_ZERO;
     else
         wait &=3D ~M_ZERO;
[...]
     /* zone is passed for legacy reasons. */
     mem =3D allocf(zone, keg->uk_ppera * PAGE_SIZE, &flags, wait);

Firstly, the name "wait" and the comment are confusing, since "wait" is=20
really "flags" which may have M_ZERO set. So, for non UMA_ZONE_MALLOC=20
zones (which should be most zones) the page is supposed to be zeroed?

We ignored the flags in our FreeBSD 9.3 based port and this worked quite=20
well. However, on FreeBSD head I changed the page allocator now to do:

#ifdef INVARIANTS
     wait |=3D M_ZERO;
#endif

     if (addr !=3D NULL && (wait & M_ZERO) !=3D 0) {
         memset(addr, 0, size_in_bytes);
     }

With this change, everything works like before.

> If your zone does not have init/fini functions, nor ctors/dtors, then
> HEAD and stable/11 actually actively trash items to catch reliance on
> the uninitialized memory being zero.  Look for trash_ctor in uma_core.c=
.

The zone has an init/fini function, see udp_init()

     /*
      * For now default to 2-tuple UDP hashing - until the fragment
      * reassembly code can also update the flowid.
      *
      * Once we can calculate the flowid that way and re-establish
      * a 4-tuple, flip this to 4-tuple.
      */
     in_pcbinfo_init(&V_udbinfo, "udp", &V_udb, UDBHASHSIZE, UDBHASHSIZE,
         "udp_inpcb", udp_inpcb_init, NULL, 0,
         IPI_HASHFIELDS_2TUPLE);

--=20
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de

Diese Nachricht ist keine gesch=E4ftliche Mitteilung im Sinne des EHUG.