Date:      29 Sep 1998 08:07:29 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Aiming install routine at source directory on dos

"Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu> writes:

> On Sun, 27 Sep 1998, Harry Putnam wrote:

> >Theres the rub. I'm being shown three possibilities.  Two columns, one
> >colored yellow the other black, same entry in both columns.
> >wd0s1    wd0s1
> >wd0s2    wd0s2
> >wd1s1    wd1s1

> >Do the above represent C D E or is wd1 a different disk?

I understand the C,D,E is windows speak, but am asking if the listed
partitions are the same ones.

> Simple things first, wd1 is a different physical disk than wd0. Wd0 is the
> master drive and wd1 is the slave.

That was my take too.  So the offered dos partitions are  confusing
since there are none on wd1

> Did you mean to say that you have two partitions (C, D) on the first drive
> plus one partition on the E drive?

No.

> wd0 is the first IDE drive. <== Your windows stuff.
> wd1 is the second IDE drive. <== Your Linux stuff.

The linux bootup screens give this picture of the bios setup:
(pared down for brevity)

o Pri. Master  Disk : LBA ,Mode 4, 3166MB Parallel Port(s)  : 378
o Pri. Slave   Disk : LBA ,Mode 4, 3166MB EDO DRAM at Row(s): 0
o Sec. Master  Disk : CDROM,Mode 3        SDRAM at Row(s)   : None
o Sec. Slave   Disk : None                L2 Cache Type     :

Looking at the respective drives with linux fdisk gives this picture.

o Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 767 cylinders
o Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes
o    Device Boot   Begin    Start   End   Blocks   Id  System
o /dev/hda1   *        1        1   257  1036192+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
o /dev/hda2          259      259   767  2052288    5  Extended
o /dev/hda5          259      259   517  1044256+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
o /dev/hda6          518      518   767  1007968+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M

I've lost track through various adjustments etc of how the numbering
arrived at what it is.  But the dos disk above Is one HDD divided into
3 partitions. One primary (1) the last two (5,6 logical) enclosed in
an extended partition(2)..

o Disk /dev/hdb: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 767 cylinders
o Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes
o    Device Boot   Begin    Start   End   Blocks   Id  System
o /dev/hdb1            1        1   563  2269984+   5  Extended
o /dev/hdb2   *      564      564   664   407232   a5  BSD/386
o /dev/hdb5            1        1     9    36225   82  Linux swap
o /dev/hdb6           10       10   467  1846624+  83  Linux native
o /dev/hdb7          468      468   476    36256+  82  Linux swap
o /dev/hdb8          477      477   563   350752+  83  Linux native

This one also has an extended partition that I adjusted on advice
form a poster on BSD-current, so that it stops just before the BSD
partition (slice) begins  There is also still a section from 563 to
767 that is uncharted.(previously an ext2 file system)

So here we have and extended partiton (1) surrounding linux partitions
(5-8) and beyond that a BSD `slice' (2 primary)

Apparently the install routine is seeing the extended partions as dos
but not seeing what is inside them.

****8< snipped details of BSD naming (thank you)

> Assuming that you want to wipe out windows :P and keep Linux and FreeBSD
> you will be installing FreeBSD into wd0s1 or wd0s2.

What I had hoped to do is ignore the dos partition (other than as a
holding ground for the BSD install files) and install BSD on the
second disk (Primary slave) where I've put its `slice' as above.

 Choosing any of the offered `dos' partitions to install from ends
 with this message:

o Error mounting /dev/wd0s1 [wd0s2/wd1s1 ed] on /dist: Operation not
o permitted.

I understand the above to be trying to mount a dos partition so as to
be able to access the files waiting there, to be installed.  Is that a
right assumption?

Or is something completely different going on here?

Thanks for the details -- Still confused though.
PS- during install, at the point where you are expected ot setup the
actual BSD partitions within its `slice'. F1 will get you a good
explanation of BSD numbering etc of partitions.

What/where is that text taken from?  Surely it must be available
besides on the boot floppy.

--
Harry Putnam reader@newsguy.com
Running Redhat Linux-5.1