Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 1996 14:42:23 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Watchdog timers (was: Re: Multi-Port Async Cards)

> >It's idiotic to pay for things you'll never use.  The "average" user
> >never opens his box to install anything he didn't buy with the machine
> >in the package offered by the dealer anyway, so he doesn't give a
> >*damn* what bus he has, as long as it works.
>
> except that with your box the customer will be paying for lots of things
> they don't want or need. They'll have fewer choices without ISA or IDE
> and therefore everything will cost more.

Only if card manufacturers don't jump on the PCI wagon.  If they do, then
economies of scale will kick in.  That's something I'd be willing to
pay a little to promote -- how about you?

The fact that no one needs any type of empty slot, even an ISA slot, seems
to be lost on you.  There's no difference between empty ISA nad empty PCI
slots from a user perspective, is there?

> contrast J. Greco's argument last week for building "cheap" routers with $20
> isa cards and small IDEs....cost is king. I have 35 machines in my lab
> and your MB is a replacement for exactly zero of them.

That's right: my suggestion is for a consumer machine that actually
delivers on the "Plug-N-Play" promise that is undeliverable (period)
on an ISA machine (you may not have noticed, but there are still ISA
cards that can't be passively probed... PCI cards which are in spec
can all be passively probed).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---