Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 1996 08:57:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        gordon@drogon.net, freebsd-scsi@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Buslogic controller, Sync mode & a SCSI disk error

> BACKUPS ARE STRONGLY RECOMMENDED BEFORE DOING THIS!
> If that fails you are going to have to run a low level verify operation
> and tell it to remap the block that it could not read, then run fsck
> and hope to hell it was just a file system block and not meta data.

Hi Rod,

Is there a good tool to do this sort of stuff under FreeBSD (besides doing
it by hand with the scsi command)?

The NCR controllers in use around here do not have a built in BIOS utility
(like the Adaptecs do) to do low level formatting and verification/bad
block remapping.

I've typically found it more convenient to simply disconnect the SCSI
bus from the NCR and hook it up to an Adaptec 15x2 and do whatever.
Unfortunately that requires physical intervention.

Since I am heavily into remote administration, I would like to see a tool
that was able to do similar things, running under FreeBSD.  However, I do
not have the SCSI knowledge to write such a tool, and I have not seen any
references to an existing tool already written.

Any ideas, comments, etc.?

Thanks,

... JG