Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:43:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     Jason, I am using real life situations to demonstrate my point.  You are
>     perfectly welcome to use your own REAL-LIFE situations to demonstrate
>     yours.  It is the real-life application that matters, not a worst-case
>     nightmare theory.  No engineer designs systems based on nightmare
>     theories.

	Sorry - had to reply to this. I have an Aero-engineer friend who
	took some exception to that last sentence. They're like that :)

	Back on topic:

	Obviously you devote the most time to handling the most common
	and serious failure modes, but if someone else if willing to
	put in the work to handle nightmare cases, should you ignore or
	discard that work?

	Put more accurately - if someone wants to provide a different rope
	to permit people to write in a different defensive style, and it
	does not in any way impact your use of the system: More power to them.

		David/absolute

             -=-  Sue me, screw me, walk right through me  -=-