Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 15:51:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "M. Jones" <mjones@imperium.net>
To:        Neal <neal@pernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POP servers

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Neal wrote:

> Same thing here.  Our traffic has gotten high enough that me moved the
> temporary boxes to another partition.  When we did that, the loxk files
> magically stopped appearing.Now my only problem is that the bulletin
> feature doesn't work correctly when you have it keep last bulletin read
> information in a database.  Ugh.

	I believe the code to initialize/read the databases is at fault.
I'm looking forward to when it finally works. It's also quite restrictive
on the format of the bulletins, I often have to turn on debugging to find
out what the problem with the new one is.
	We keep lockfiles in another directory on the same partition
currently, if yours "suddenly dissapear" I take it that it uses hardlinks
for the lockfiles and elects not to use lockfiles at all when it can't do
hardlinks (across partitions).

> On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Nate Williams wrote:
>
> > > Does anyone know of an alternative pop3 server than qpopper? I believe
> > > qpopper leaves files all over the place.
> >
> > Hmm, we use qpopper exclusively here for *all* of our email, and I don't
> > see any 'files' all over the place.  (We're a business and not an ISP,
> > so the 'users' are employees and have pretty standard/decent hardware).
> > Granted, our connections are pretty good (mostly dedicated), but even
> > the non-dedicated connections aren't leaving stuff around.
> >
> > +OK QPOP (version 2.2) at ns.mt.sri.com starting. <1949.860523395@ns.mt.sri.com
> >

> > Nate

Matt Jones					Imperium Internet, Inc.
System Administrator				http://www.imperium.net