Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 13:04:53 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@turkey.ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: When to transition to 3.0-STABLE..  NOT NOW!

Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> hello,
> I am using 3.0-RELEASE and I was wanting to upgrade to 3.0-STABLE
> because 3.0-RELEASE gives error messages about calcru blah blah..
> and I could not find the option about calcru that is in FAQ
> so I should upgrade to 3.0-STABLE now! because my processes are dying
> randomly (when I saw RELEASE at 3.0 I thought it would be stable though
> now I see that even when it says STABLE it is not stable ? cool )
>
> is there a possibility that I just rebuild kernel with new sources ?
> and I do not upgrade all other binaries? would it work ?

I think that the 2.2-->3.0 upgrade is possible, although somewhat
tricky. I upgraded the only machine I had running 2.2.8 last Monday.
I did a "make aout-to-elf" in mid-December without major problems
on other systems, so I was confident. However, after an error-free
aout-to-elf, I ended up with a full ELF system... and the old
2.2.8 kernel. A 3.0 a.out kernel was built, but it was not installed.
Then, I booted the system using the 2.2.8 fixit CD-ROM, I installed
that 3.0 kernel and rebooted. Before that, I remade /dev using the
3.0 MAKEDEV. Once the system booted with the 3.0 a.out kernel, I
updated /etc and I built and installed an ELF kernel. After that,
everything worked fine. Two days after I remember the incident as
"fun" :-)

However, if Jordan has made more changes to the "aout-to-elf"
process in the last three days, perhaps the upgrade is more
difficult now.

-- JMA
José Mª Alcaide                         | mailto:jose@we.lc.ehu.es
Universidad del País Vasco              | http://www.we.lc.ehu.es/~jose
Dpto. de Electricidad y Electrónica     |
Facultad de Ciencias - Campus de Lejona | Tel.:  +34-946012479
48940 Lejona (Vizcaya) - SPAIN          | Fax:   +34-944858139