Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:51:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Stephen Comoletti <rugose@www.delanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: New install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Gateway PC

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Stephen Comoletti wrote:

> Small update and another question. The intel udma controller is made
> actually a Promise Technology Ultra33 IDE. Promise Tech claims not to
> supprt freebsd or any other unix from the info gateway tech support could
> provide me. Their only advice was to connect the drive to the motherboard
> primary ide which freebsd did detect.

That's what I thought.  I remember this from before, but it didn't come to
mind when you mentioned the Windows device name.

> Question is, will there be any updates to freebsd that will allow
> detection of the above card? or is it actually compatible now and I have
> another problem?

No, the Promise is wierd iron and probably wants NDAs to get native
support, so I doubt it'll be supported.

The old solution was to disable the card's onboard BIOS, but that may not
be possible or may not help anymore.

>  Gateway tech said the difference from the promise controller and
> the motherboard ide is as great as 3-1 ratio, a visually noticable speed
> difference depending on what I use the pc for. I'd rather is the card if at
> all possible.

<heh> Only under Windows with their drivers.  You'll be fine on the
motherboard controller; set flags 0x80ff80ff on wdc0 and wdc1 for best
results.   This enables multi-block transfers and helps quite a bit.

> So far I've checked the cables, the jumpers, and made numerous changes to
> the bios in an attempt to get it to recognize the card. Any more ideas
> before I pull it out?

Nope; See if Gateway will give you a refund.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo