Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 08:31:33 -0400
From:      "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   XFree86 and Blank Display when Laptop Docked

I have a Dell Latitude CPi laptop with FreeBSD 3.1.
I am using XFree86 to run twm and xterm.

On the laptop's display, I can start an x session
and view the windows just fine.
However, when the laptop is docked, the `text` mode
is visible on my monitor, but when I run startx, the
screen goes blank.

I believe the laptop uses the same NeoMagic card
for both the laptop screen and the monitor. I think
the docking station is just a pass-through for monitors.
I could be wrong though.

One possible caveat is that I have a DVD installed on the
laptop. Part of the DVD is a PCMCIA card to decode
MPEG2 from a dvd. I wouldn't think this would matter,
but I'm not sure.

Does anyone have a similar setup and worked through
this before?

Thanks