Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 16:36:27 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD suitable laptop

On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 12:33:46AM -0500, David Scheidt wrote:
> I need a laptop, preferably one that comes out of the box ready to run
> FreeBSD.

New, or second hand?

I can wholeheartedly recommend pretty much anything from the Sony Vaio
range.  I'm writing this on a F270 (PII/333, 64MB RAM, 6GB disk), and next
to me I have an F709 (PIII/750, 128MB RAM, 18GB disk).

The 270 is superb -- suspend to disk and memory work well, and FreeBSD 4.x
supports the sound card, and XFree86 works out of the box.  It doesn't have
built in networking or a modem, so I use two PCMCIA cards, which just work.

I'm just playing around with the 709 at the moment.  Suspend to disk no
longer works (I suspect it needs a file on a FAT partition to swap to, not
just a spare partition, so the BIOS has been altered since the 270) and
it uses the NeoMagic 256XL+ graphics card, which doesn't work out of the
box in XFree86 -- there are instructions in the -mobile mailing list
archives.  It's got a built in modem, but I haven't had a chance to play
with that yet.

I know Jim Mock and Bill Swingle run the smaller, lighter Vaios.  You'll
also get recommendations on the -mobile mailing list.