Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2017 21:10:18 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to start KDE (plasma 5) desktop with GDM ?

On Sat, 15 Apr 2017 09:24:01 +0000, Manish Jain wrote:
> Since KDE5 does not have its own display manager yet, is it possible to
> get gdm (the display manager already in use) to start KDE instead of
> Gnome. I have gdm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.

My experiences with gdm (and Gnome in general for that case)
are quite bad: It seems you cannot start anything but Gnome
with gdm, and it does totally ignore .xinitrc and .xsession,
forcing you to get your "autostart" programs configured
manually from within the Gnome session.

Why not temporarily use xdm? It uses .xsession (or .xinitrc,
if you add an "execution cascade") where you can put the
correct command line to start KDE 5. For testing, it's also
possible to use ye olde "startx" command (uses .xinitrc).

I didn't investigate the gdm issue any further, because I
tend to abandon software that heavily disappoints me. ;-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany