Date:      Sat, 08 Apr 2000 11:18:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alexander N. Kabaev" <kabaev@mail.ru>
To:        "Alexey N. Dokuchaev" <danfe@inet.ssc.nsu.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: What are the best gcc optimization options for Pentium 200 M

I doubt Mandrake gets any significant performance boost from using gcc with
optimisation levels beyond -O. They just use this "super optimised" to
stand out from all other Linux crowd rather than for any practical purpose. It
has been reported several times that optimisation levels O2 ang higher are
buggy and known to generate wrong code on several occasions. This was true for
gcc 2.7.2.3 and it is still true for gcc 2.95.2. In other words, your attempt to
squeese last drop of performance from your system in this way is futile :). The
gain you will get is just not worth associated risks.

E-Mail: Alexander N. Kabaev <kabaev@mail.ru>