Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:38:16 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        mark@salford.ac.uk (Mark Powell)
Cc:        lcs@jumpnet.com, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can the P/I-P55T2P4 be overclocked?  In other words does it support 75 and 83MHz bus speeds?

Mark Powell stands accused of saying:

> > Correct, only the plain P55T2P4 rev. 3.0/3.1 have everything needed to do 75 & 83Mhz,
> > but I seriously doubt that a heavily loaded 2940 will perform well above 33Mhz PCI bus
> > speeds....
>
> Why's that? Also, what d'you mean by "well"?

A good question.  Providing the bus interface on the aic7xxx part is
up to it, it might run faster.  Bear in mind that it's only designed
for 33MHz though.

> > The SC-200 and the SC-875 stand a much better chance of running well at higher PCI
> > bus speeds when drives are attached that fully use their capabilities.
>
> Not too sure on the quality of the FreeBSD drivers for the NCR though. And

The FreeBSD NCR drivers are excellent.  Note that experimental
evidence tends to indicate that the 2940 is better under multi-drive
loads than the NCR, but by a fairly small margin.  Also note that many
so-called "onboard 2940" controllers are actually lower-spec parts
that won't perform anywhere near as well.

Basically, we have the following Adaptec parts :

aic7880 : AHC398xU, AHC3940U, AHC2940U
aic7870 : AHC398x, AHC3940, AHC2940
aic7860 : AHC2940AU, "onboard 2940"
aic7850, aic7855 : "onboard 2940"

If at all possible, demand to know which chip is actually used.

The comment "when drives are attached that fully use their
capabilities" is a bit of a curious one though.  Drives don't use a
controller's capabilities; the driver does, in order to use the
drive's capabilities.

> I don't think the NCR 53c875 is supported at all, just 810 & 825 :(

The FreeBSD/NetBSD NCR driver supports the 810, 815, 820, 825, 860 and
875.

> Suppose, I could just use narrow drives instead of the wides I
> currently have?  Hmmm, I really wanted to overclock a Cyrix 6x86
> P166+ to a P200+, and this seemed to be the way to do it from
> other's expericence.

Why?  Unless you are going to be doing things that are totally CPU
bound, you should be more worried about memory and I/O throughput than
plain CPU cycle time.  Going to narrow drives will just defeat this.

> Do you have any idea whether the DFI G586VPS Pro (using VLSI Lunx chipset)
> or the or the MTech R534 (http://www.mtiusa.com/r534.htm), using the
> Sis5571 chipset which I think I read somewhere "allows the PCI bus to be
> locked at 32MHz [sic?] whatever the external clock speed", would be better
> for this purpose?

I would be demanding datasheets on the chipsets in question and
studying the timing values programmed by the BIOS for these boards in
comparison with the Intel chipsets and their recommended timing.  The
430FX chipsets push things pretty hard already; I'm skeptical that
these other newcomers are likely to be more than marginally better.