Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 16:10:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   non-interactive sysinstall broken?

I've happily used an "install.cfg" configuration file to automatically
install FreeBSD 2.2.x on numerous machines in the past.  However when
attempting to install 3.0-BETA in the manner, I'm running into a
problem where sysinstall is complaining that none of my partitions are
configured and that it cannot newfs the root device. The error message
below is approximately what it said, but it is transcibed from memory:

	Unable to make new root filesystem on /dev/rda0s1a! , device
not configured
	Command returned status 1
	Command `diskLabelCommit' failed - rest of script aborted.

(it also complains that it cannot swap to /dev/da0s1b)

The symptoms are the same using boot.flp from 3.0-19980927-BETA
& from a locally built release done with sources from yesterday
afternoon.

The relevant section of my install.cfg is as follows:

disk=da0
partition=all
bootManager=none
diskPartitionEditor
diskPartitionWrite
da0s1-1=ufs 196608 /
da0s1-2=swap 1048576 none
da0s1-3=ufs 2097152 /var
da0s1-4=ufs 0 /usr
diskLabelEditor
diskLabelCommit
installCommit

If I comment out all but the following & manually nurse it through the
parition/label steps, everything goes just fine.

disk=da0
installCommit

Am I doing something seriously wrong, or is sysinstall broken for
non-interactive installs?

Thanks,

Drew