Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:15:54 -0600
From:      Peter Schultz <peter@jocose.org>
To:        "Michael D. Harnois" <mharnois@cpinternet.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, "Alexander N. Kabaev" <ak03@gte.com>, Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, current@FreeBSD.ORG, "freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD. Org" <freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>, vova@sw.ru
Subject:   Re: ports/34908: libpng port makes bad dynamic library on -CURRENT

Michael D. Harnois wrote:
 > On Thu, 2002-02-21 at 04:03, David O'Brien wrote:
 >

 >>On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:05:31AM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
 >>
 >>>Maybe this can now be committed?
 >>>
 >>NOT until I have sufficient feedback from the FSF Binutils developers.
 >>

 > OK, I'm confused. binutils has been broken for three weeks. We have a
 > patch that we know fixes, at the very least, one of the known roblems.
 > However, it can't be committed without feedback from the developers.
 >
 > So having binutils broken indefinitely is better than applying a patch
 > that *might* have to be backed out or altered later?

I would like to wait and see what David comes up with.  I've applied the
patch and things work for the most part, but there are some problems I'm
having with the vim, open-motif-devel and AbiWord ports that I did not
see until this patch.  So I guess the lesson is that if you want to run
-CURRENT you just have to roll with the punches.

Pete...