Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:29:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Kennedy <jk@csuchico.edu>
To:        vk@spies.com
Cc:        aic7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Offer to test the linux aic7xxx driver

[Venkatesh Krishnamurthi]
> I realise that support for the 7890 chipset is still at an
> experimental stage and want to know if there was some way in which
> I can help test it out.
>
> I have a ASUS P2B-DS motherboard, with the onboard 7890, and the
> linux aic7xxx 5.1.5 driver defaults to using async transfers to
> my UW (10K RPM) HDDs.  As I see it, it is in my best interest that
> the driver gets tested on a configuration similar to mine :-)
>
> So, if the developers would like me to help with the beta test of
> pre-release drivers, I'd be delighted to volunteer my services.

  I happen to be using one of those now (ASUS P2B-DS motherboard).
SMP, so far with only linux-2.1.131 (stock, -ac7 & now -ac11).

  Right now I'm using all three internal connectors with no problems
(LVD, wide and 50-pin).  50-pin only has a CD-ROM, but I've done a fair
amount of shuffling files around (with .131 stock) between an old 1G
disk I had on the 50 and a 9G disk I had on the wide over to the 18G
LVD without any problems (no kernel errors, plus I did a bunch of md5
checksums "just in case").

  I was a little worried about the wide since the ASUS-provided cable
is intended for that external card-slot connector and probably wants to
be externally terminated.  Right now, the drive terminates the chain until
I get an external terminator.  Despite that, it seemed perfectly happy.

  The -ac11 is using the 5.1.6 driver.  It got my LVD drive Ok:

	kernel:   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST118273LW        Rev: 5960
	kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 02
	kernel: Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
	kernel: (scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 80.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.

  If I reboot, I could probably dig up some old log files that tell me
what I was getting under -ac7 and stock .131.  I seem to recall -ac7 had
it listed at only 20 Mb/sec, but I don't remember if it was sync or async.

								--- john