Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 1997 20:32:47 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape audio set up question

Stan Brown wrote:

> > That's very strange.. My understanding of how this works is that
> > the "extension" on  the file name ".mid", is used to determine the
> > mime type, using whatever type is associated with that extension in
> > the .mime.types file. How it would come up with audio/midi is puzzling.
> >
> > I have the same problem with all of the sound file mime types, like au
> > and wav also. Realaudio seems to work ???
>
>         Someone said thatthe mime typecould be encoded in the remote HTML
>         document. This would explain it.

Hmmm.. there are extensions to html showing up all the
time, but I wasn't aware of that one.

The way 3.0 *was* working was that you could click on
a link to a .html file on any page and it would play. It
recognized the mime type and the helper it needed from
the file "extension" (.mid). The doswindows version still
seems to do this. I think Netscape may have broken something
when they did 3.01 gold for FreeBSD.

You can set up a test page on your own machine. Put a midi file
somewhere, then make a simple test page with a link to it, using
a local file on your machine as the test page (file://...).
When you click on the link to the midi file, it should play.
I had this working just fine on 3.0, but when I went to 3.01
gold, it quit.

Something I *never* got to work was "background". Some web pages
have background midi sound tracks using background=somefile.mid
up in the body section of the document. These never played on the
FreeBSD version of Netscape, even though I could click on a midi
file link and it would play.

Also, a wierd querk I have noticed with the midi setup (I'm using
playmidi in the FM mode) is that some of the tracks seem to be
an octave too low musically. Have you noticed this?

-Jim Durham