Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 1995 00:32:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   ppp

I've done a great deal more pokeing at ppp, now I can get somewhat more
specific in my questions.  I'm going to lay out what I think it oughta
do, and if any little bit is wrong, please let me know, and go ahead and be
picky.

Right now, I have a 2 machine network, and machine n3lxx is the one I've
picked to do the ppp dialing (I flipped a coin, it doesn't matter).  The
netstat -rn right after boot shows a default route from n3lxx to the
other machine, Journey2.  That's ok, without ppp, I want any network
traffic not destined for my X server here to go there.  I run named on
n3lxx, but not on journey2, I don't think I need 2 of them running.

At this point, when ppp comes up, I want it to do two things: set the net
address of tun0 to the number the U of M has sent me, and make a default
route out that way.  I will hand change my old default route to journey2
so that its specifically handling n3lxx -> journey2 traffic.

I tell ppp to do a 'set ifaddr 0 0 HISADDR', and that successfully sets
the new tun0 address.  For some reason, it also makes a new route from
the address U of M has given my machine to 127.0.0.0, but I don't think
that'll hurt any.  I do that in the ppp.linkup file.

In that same file, I tell ppp to do a 'add default 0 HISADDR'.  This gets
totally ignored.  I try manually killing the default (via su and the
route command) and the file command 'add default 0 HISADDR' still fails.
I can, however, tell ppp to do that manually, and that works, I'm in
business, albeit it won't work automatically, because I have to manually
enter that default info.

On disconnect, I want ppp to put things back the way they were.  It does
delete for me three of the four things it's added: it deletes the
reference making tun0 the address that U of M has given me, and it
deletes the route from that address to the U of M address, and the
default route.  What it leaves me is the route from the address U of M
assigned me to 127.0.0.0.  If I call again, and manually set the default
to get myself in operation, I end up with two new routes to 127.0.0.0.
This seems endlessly repeatable.

I'm looking for two things.  I can tell my machine not to put the default
route it, and instead to do one specifically from n3lxx to journey2, but
I need it to put the default route up automatically, and I need it to
delete the route going to 127.0.0.0.

OK, I must have committed some gross errors here, I'm likely asking for
things I don't really need.  Can anyone tell me where, or give me likely
hints?  Unlikely hints?

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 (Freebsd 2.0.5-snap-0726) and
(301) 220-2114              | n3lxx (FreeBSD 2.0.5-snap-0622) -- Great!