Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 13:41:48 -0500
From:      Sam Drinkard <sam@wa4phy.net>
To:        kalts@estpak.ee
Cc:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>, Kenneth Mays <kmays2000@hotmail.com>, scrappy@hub.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -STABLE was stable for long time (Re: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?)

I've been using -stable for about 2 years now, and I can tell you this
much.  -Stable, at least for me, IS stable. Of course, I'm not running
any heavy load on the machine, but in all of my rebuilds, I've never
(knock on wood) had any problems that weren't caused by my own lack of
knowledge.  When I first moved to the -stable branch (4.2 I believe)
from a 3.2-R system, I had a few problems crop up, but as the updates
came out, the problems went away.  I don't have to have the "latest and
greatest" every few days or months.. sometimes I'll go a year before
I'll decide to upgrade, then it's primarily due to security
considerations, and not any specific fix. The one thing I can say to
everyone involved in the building of FreeBSD is thank you for such good
documentation.  I unfortunately have to have a linux machine running due
to specific software that will not run on *bsd, and from my very limited
exposure to linux, I can say the documentation stinks.  At some point, I
will most likely go back to a -Release, but the thoughts of reworking
and re-installing from scratch 10 years worth of software, files, and
configurations really scares me, even with good, valid backups.  When
you progressivley move from a version of 1 to a version of 4.7 over 10
years, you learn a bit about what works and what doesn't.

Sam