Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 20:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        Paul Hamilton <paul@compwest.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Running Samba on FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.3 - errors on FreeBSD side of things!

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Paul Hamilton wrote:

> This is with the default smb.conf file, which passes testparm!  Thinking
> it's a 4.2 problem, I upgraded to 4.3.  Same problem!  I tried 2.0.8 and 2.2
> from the packages cd, and also 2.2 built from source.

it's a good idea to modify the default config files to be custom to your
own machine. even if it passes testparm.

take a closer look at the log.smbd and the log.nmbd and check for error
output.

the default config file is generally an EXAMPLE of the config file. it's
ment to give you an idea of what you can do, and the syntax of the various
settings.

> I tend to think it's a FreeBSD problem, as I get the same error all the
> time.  I have seen a reference about trying to access udp port 0x10007 (from
> memory, as I don't have access to the smbd.log file ATT.  I just remember
> that it was a large numbered port, and that it couldn't open it).   nmbd
> seems to work ok.

it might still be a freebsd problem. you may consider setting up a *very*
small share to test from, and use the smallest configuration file you can
write.

usually, it will look something like this:

[global]
security = user
local master = no

[share]
path = /tmp
public = yes

hope this helps some. let me know if there's other related problems.

-- jan

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
   "if my thought-dreams could be seen..
       "they'd probably put my head in a gillotine"
	     -- Bob Dylan