Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:09:29 -0400
From:      "Allen Smith" <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The 99,999-bug question: Why can you execute from the stack?

On Jul 19,  7:48pm, Warner Losh (possibly) wrote:

> I think that most, but not all, of the problems can be fixed by making
> the stack non-executables for set[gu]id binaries.  this will fix the
> attacks where elevated privs are used to get access.  however, i'm not
> completely sure about this because there are many problems with this
> idea.  not the least of which is that it feels like a bandaide to me.

I'd suggest adding anything executing with an effective uid of root;
keep in mind servers. I've actually worked on this with the
libparanoia's libc substitution, at least with the non-assembler ones;
I'll try to find the time to test soon whether this actually speeds
things up.

BTW, breaking binary compatibility on software that runs as root or
that's set[gu]id isn't as much of a problem as it might seem - if a
piece of software is going to run at elevated permissions, you ought
to have the source code. That's (part of) the lesson of _An Empirical
Study of the Reliability of UNIX Utilities_, in which GNUware (and
software with free source code in general) was found to be a lot more
reliable. (Admittedly, another part is that the GNU project has rules
against doing things that let in buffer overflows...) See
ftp://grilled.cs.wisc.edu/technical_papers/fuzz.ps.Z and
ftp://grilled.cs.wisc.edu/technical_papers/fuzz-revisited.ps.gz for
more information.

	-Allen

--
Allen Smith				easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu