Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2006 15:08:33 +0200
From:      Paul Dekkers <Paul.Dekkers@surfnet.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipmi on Dell PE 2850 fails, PE 1850 works fine

--------------enig30CED9F513D7E695240D42C7

Hi,

After using the ipmi module from -stable (or the port in most cases...)
on a couple of PowerEdge 1850's from Dell, I tried the same on the
bigger 2850... unfortunally, it fails. I updated the source-tree today,
and tried both SMP and GENERIC kernel.

On the 1850 I get:

ipmi0: <System Management BIOS> at iomem 0xf9900-0xf991e,0xf9920-0xfa5ba
on isa0
ipmi0: SMBIOS Version: 2.03, revision: 2.03
ipmi0: KCS mode found at io 0xca8 alignment 0x4 on isa
ipmi0: IPMI device rev. 0, firmware rev. 1.81, version 1.5
ipmi0: Number of channels 4
ipmi0: Attached watchdog

The 2850 gives me:

ipmi0: <System Management BIOS> at iomem 0xf9900-0xf991e,0xf9920-0xfa5bf
on isa0
ipmi0: SMBIOS Version: 2.03, revision: 2.03
ipmi0: KCS mode found at io 0xca8 alignment 0x4 on isa
ipmi0: couldn't configure smbios io res

But more scary, as soon as I unload the module (since it has no use
anyway ;-)) the kernel panics. Unloading ipmi from the 1850 works just fi=
ne.

Did anyone else stumble upon this issue? Any clues to debug? (I have a
kgdb output included below, but I'm afraid it lacks some detail.)

Unfortunally I only have this 2850 to test on (and I'm not sure how long
I can keep testing ;-)) - I tried multiple 1850's where things work as
expected. (Really happy with IPMI support there :-))

Paul

# kgdb /boot/kernel/kernel vmcore.3
[GDB will not be able to debug user-mode threads:
/usr/lib/libthread_db.so: Undefined symbol "ps_pglobal_lookup"]
GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
GDB is free software, covered by the GNU General Public License, and you =
are
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB.  Type "show warranty" for detail=
s.
This GDB was configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd".
(no debugging symbols found)...Attempt to extract a component of a value
that is not a structure pointer.
(kgdb) bt
#0  0xc06665f6 in doadump ()
#1  0xc0666aec in boot ()
#2  0xc0666d6a in panic ()
#3  0xc0860a98 in trap_fatal ()
#4  0xc08607ff in trap_pfault ()
#5  0xc0860491 in trap ()
#6  0xc084f2ea in calltrap ()
#7  0xc0643209 in destroy_devl ()
#8  0xc06433c8 in destroy_dev ()
#9  0xc84018bf in ?? ()
#10 0x00000000 in ?? ()
#11 0xc83f2d00 in ?? ()
#12 0xc83c5200 in ?? ()
#13 0xe8468c18 in ?? ()
#14 0xc840278e in ?? ()
#15 0xc83c5200 in ?? ()
#16 0xc83c5200 in ?? ()
#17 0xc83c5200 in ?? ()
#18 0xc83c5200 in ?? ()
#19 0xe8468c30 in ?? ()
#20 0xc067b1c0 in device_detach ()
Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)
(kgdb)