Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 23:31:12 -0200 (EDT)
From:      Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@coppe.ufrj.br>
To:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp (Kazutaka YOKOTA)
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org, cvs-sys@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf LINT src/sys/i386/include console.h  mouse.h src/sys/i386/isa kbdio.h mse.c psm.c syscons.c

#define quoting(Kazutaka YOKOTA)
// >You said it would be "printed", so I imagine an array of strings.
//
// Ah, yes, information is stored in memory for later use AND a
// human-readable string corresponding to the information is printed.
//
// The driver has the following static strings:
//
// "NetScroll Mouse", "NetMouse", "GlidePoint", "ThinkingMouse",
// "IntelliMouse", "MouseMan+", "Generic PS/2 mouse"
//
// Maybe you are thinking this is too much?

Sorry if I let you think it was personal.  I'm not worried about one
or two (or seven :) ) strings in kernel, but with the general growing
interest in putting this kind of info in non-swapable memory.

It's not a problem if you have a server with lots of memory, but it's
a pain for small machines.

Unfortunatly, kernel swapping or kernel routines memory disposal is not
an easy thing to do.

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@gta.ufrj.br