Date:      Sun, 15 Feb 1998 12:31:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        hrothgar@hrothgar.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware

Greg Lehey writes:
 > On Sat, 14 February 1998 at 23:51:11 -0800, hrothgar wrote:
 > > I have a friend who is a Unix programmer who is going to set up a
 > > machine I am purchasing with FreeBSD that claims that there are
 > > configuration problems with MMX machines.  Could you tell me if that is
 > > true or is he just lost in the old days.  He keeps telling me that I
 > > MUST get a dual pentium pro or nothing.
 >
 > There are a *lot* more problems with a dual Pentium Pro than a single
 > Pentium MMX.  That's because of the multiprocessor, not because of the
 > MMX.  As far as I know, there are no FreeBSD-specific problems with
 > any Intel processor.

As someone with a dual Pentium-Pro, I'd have to say that probably
wouldn't buy one today.  It may be slightly faster than the equivalent
clock speed Pentium II because the the onboard cache, and definitely a lot
faster than the equivalent clock speed Pentium MMX, it's not clear to
me that the price premium is worth it.  You can get a 333 Mhz Pentium
II system for at least $500 less than a dual 200 MHz Pentium Pro.
Sure, if you want to wait 6 months to a year, the new Pentium II chip
sets that do a better job at multiprocessing will be out.

Sure, FreeBSD, Linux, Windows NT and Solaris x86 support SMP,  but
FreeBSD and Linux still have a ways to go to do it well.  A second CPU
is wasted money for a Win95 user.  The FreeBSD SMP mailing list has
several reports with problems with Supermicro boards.  For the money
you would spend on a dual Pentium Pro system, buy a high end Pentium
II and not worry about it.