Date:      18 Nov 1995 13:40:05 GMT
From:      hsu@cs.hut.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
To:        clinet-list-freebsd-current@clinet.fi
Subject:   Re: 2.1-stable just hangs

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.951117093137.15910B-100000@haven.uniserve.com> Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com> writes:
   > sometimes (at elast 2 times a weak) a p55tp4xe with p90, 32mb Ram,
   > 2940 , smc elite + just hangs.

ASUS SIS chipset based board + p90 + 64mB + 2 * NCR SCSI + probably smc isa
ethernet board.  Around same frequency, but we also get disk errors
sometimes (seagate hawks currently).

   > You can still enter commands on any ttys and ptys but as soon as the
   > command is to be executed, the machine hangs. pressing reset is the
   > only way to get it going again.
   > Any hints on debugging this?

     I have seen this before, with same motherboard and SCSI controller.  It
   turned out to be heat related.  I just left the cover off the system, and
   so far it is hasn't happened again.

The cause may be overheated disks getting looped, but there still is a bug
in kernel if the situation is not detected (it should do *something*, even
reboot would be better than getting hung).

I also saw this after a nfs server (FreeBSD 1.1.5.1) got its nfsd processes
killed somehow (out of swap, maybe), the -current machine deadlocked like
above after printing couple of nfs errors.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN