Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 09:34:40 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        cvicente@tricom.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recompiling the kernel

On Wed, Jul 09, 1997 at 03:42:20PM +0000, Carlos Vicente Yepes wrote:
> I've been wondering if there's a way of changing some system
> configurations without having to recompile the kernel each time.

It depends on what you want to change. Some system configuration items can
be changed while the system is still running. These generally fall into
one of two categories:

  - System variables, such as whether or not IP packets will be gatewayed
    between two interfaces.

    These are adjusted using sysctl(8).

  - Filesystems and compatability modules (I'm slightly generalizing) which
    can be demand loaded. The modules are (typically) stored in /lkm, and
    are loaded when necessary.

    For example, my machine uses the CD drive infrequently. Rather than
    compile the CD9660 filesystem into the kernel, I rely on the module to
    be loaded when I mount a CD filesystem, and unloaded when I unmount it.

> I had to add another network interface to my system, and didn't find
> other way to do it.

Unfortunately, this falls into neither of the above catgeories, and will
need a kernel recompile to do it.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
               "The good guys dress in black. Remember that."        NC5-RIPE