Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2006 17:08:50 +0200
From:      Rainer Duffner <rainer@ultra-secure.de>
To:        Eric Brunner-Williams at a VSAT somewhere <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New or used laptop recommendation(s)

Eric Brunner-Williams at a VSAT somewhere wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've gone through a couple of Sony's, don't want to repeat that, and I'm
> looking for suggestions.
>
> I've a critical app running on some RELENG_6 boxen, and because I'm almost
> always either off-grid and power limited, or simply down-link of a VSAT,
> with the latency/bandwidth limitations that imposes, I need to run RELENG_6,
> to mirror my distant (back in Maine) apps running on my 1U set.
>
> The IBM t41 (Randy)? Dell laptoppen?
>
> Cluebat to forehead please, I'll summarize, etc., and thanks in advance,
> Eric

There was a thread exactly like this some weeks ago.
Check the archive.

laptops with 3 years NBD warranty.
Go with IBM, FSC, HP and Dell (with a good support-contract).
Or buy an Apple (but you can't run FreeBSD on it). Don't think about
skipping the apple-care support-contract there, either.
On a recent thread on slashdot, some people were complaining that the
Lenovo Thinkpads were quickly going downhill, quality-wise (compared
with earlier Thinkpad T4x-models).
I don't own one, so I can't comment on it.
Personally, I'd avoid Sony at any price. Their reputation here in
Germany is really very bad.
I'd be torn between buying a MacBook and another FSC Lifebook E
(currently I've got a E8010). The MacBook is much more "portable" than
the E8010, but the later is better at running FreeBSD....
I'd also buy a Dell, but their price is not much better (if at all) than
a MacBook, so you can guess which one I'd take...

Too bad that all malls and stores only have the the consumer-grade
laptops on display , so it's difficult to judge, which business-laptop
to buy.

cheers,
Rainer