Date:      Mon, 01 Jul 2002 12:08:43 +1000
From:      Mark.Andrews@isc.org
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Pete Ehlke <pde@rfc822.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: libc flaw: BIND 9 closes most holes but also opens one

> At 07:18 PM 6/29/2002, Pete Ehlke wrote:
>
> >You are aware, Brett, that you are lecturing one of the BIND authors on
> >the subtleties of the BIND source?
> >
> >Once and for all: there is a fixed 8.3.x. There is a fixed 8.2.x. There
> >is even a fixed v4.
>
> In short, you've gone back and created fixed versions of these
> "ancient" bloodlines?
>
> If so, that's good, but it doesn't help the majority of us.

	You have been told how to fix the problem.  Install libbind
	from BIND 8 (that implies the include files).

	BIND9:
	don't call configure with --enable-libbind (this is the default)
	BIND8:
 	remove "bin" from "SUBDIRS= include port lib bin" in the top
	level Makefile

	Install both BIND 8 and BIND 9.  "--enable-libbind" effectively
	does just that.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org