Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 1997 15:50:18 -0400
From:      "Giannoni,Marc" <Marc.Giannoni@comsat.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   iijppp

I cannot get iijppp to work in any of the automatic modes.
I can get it to work by dialing my ISP with the 'term' gateway.

Yes I have checked my 'chat' script.
Yes I have checked '/etc/ppp/*.conf'

One other interesting problem is that once I have a good ppp
session started (by hand) when I use the 'shell' gateway, the
ppp link stops!  Exiting the 'shell' gateway resumes the connection.

Examination of the /var/tmp/ppp.log file shows that the thing
knows how to dial, and can login successfully.  It also enters
packet mode and LCP undergoes two transitions:

dail OK!
login OK!
LCP: state change Initial --> Closed
LCP: state change Closed --> Stopped

Then all is quiet.  Nothing happens.

What I do see whan I dial my ISP by hand is:

LCP: state change Initial --> Closed
LCP: state change Closed --> Stopped
LCP: Received Configure Request (2) state = Stopped (3)
...(and a lot more proto config stuff)

I have tried this on FreeBSD 2.2.1 and FreeBSD 2.1.0.

Marc Giannoni		Marc.Giannoni@comsat.com