Date:      Sun, 3 Sep 2000 18:59:50 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <vedette@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mount a DOS volume in extended partition

Quoting Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>:
 [000830 21:21]:
Mark Ovens>On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 04:15:28PM +0200, Micke Josefsson wrote:
Mark Ovens>>
Mark Ovens>> On 30-Aug-00 Arseny Slobodjuck wrote:
Mark Ovens>> >
Mark Ovens>> > Hi,
Mark Ovens>> >
Mark Ovens>> > How do I mount a DOS volume in extended partition ? In /dev
Mark Ovens>> > all the extendeded partition named ad0s2, how can I access
Mark Ovens>> > a particular logical disk in it ?
Mark Ovens>> >
Mark Ovens>> >
Mark Ovens>> >
Mark Ovens>> >
Mark Ovens>>
Mark Ovens>> s1-s4 are 'normal' partitions. s5-... are partitions within an extended
Mark Ovens>> partition. So I'd guess you will have to do this:
Mark Ovens>>
Mark Ovens>> cd /dev
Mark Ovens>> ./MAKEDEV ad0s5
Mark Ovens>> mount_dos /dev/ad0s5 /mnt
Mark Ovens>>
Mark Ovens>
Mark Ovens>That's it, apart from the typo; it should be ``mount_msdos'' although
Mark Ovens>
Mark Ovens>	  mount -t msdos /dev/ad0s5 /mnt
Mark Ovens>
Mark Ovens>is usually preferred, and of course the best way is to add an entry to
Mark Ovens>/etc/fstab:
Mark Ovens>
Mark Ovens>/dev/ad0s5         /dos       msdos    rw     0       0
Mark Ovens>
Mark Ovens>(add noauto to rw if you don't want it mounted at boot, that's
Mark Ovens>``rw,noauto'', no spaces (and no quotes)).

In the same token, may I ask if it is possible to mount ntfs file systems
in rw mode????

Thanks.

-Wash

--