Date:      Sun, 14 Feb 1999 09:14:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Alexander Leidinger <netchild@wurzelausix.cs.uni-sb.de>, jose@we.lc.ehu.es, thyerm@camtech.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, hosokawa@jp.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to power off an ATX power supply machine on shutdown ?

On Sat, 13 Feb 1999, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> > Do you use the "Power up at <time/date>" feature of the BIOS?
>
> No.

After this thread, I figured I'd try out shutdown -p, and lo and behold it
didn't work.  Well I thought, I have apm enabled, apm(1) shows that.  The
probe shows that and so on.  A little further checking and it was using
flags 0x31 by default.. presumably to avoid using possibly buggy APM 1.2
features?

Anyhow.. that caused apm to return results like:

APM version: 1.2
APM Managment: Enabled
AC Line status: on-line
Battery status: unknown
Remaining battery life: unknown
Remaining battery time: unknown
Number of batteries: unknown
Resume timer: disabled
Resume on ring indicator: enabled
APM Capacities:
        unknown

Note there's no mention of the limiting to version 1.1 or 1.0.  Anyhow..
try rebooting with the flags set to 0x0 and see if that works.  I assume
that if you've got an ATX mobo, the BIOS is new enough that the APM
implementation shouldn't be too buggy...

- alex