Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 16:32:03 -0800
From:      "Gary Schenk" <gwschenk@socal.rr.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: newbie mail help

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>

> You're right - most of the documentation is geared towards setting up
> a server. That's because that's the difficult part, and setting up as
> just a client depends on which of the many clients you've chosen.
>
> Basically, what you need to do is choose a client, and then follow the
> directions on configuring it. That should do the trick. If you like
> OE, then possibly you want to use Netscape Communicator or Mozilla as
> a client. Install those from the ports, then use the preferences menus
> to enter your ISP's host names for the SMTP and POP servers.
>
> If you want a command-line client, mutt and pine are popular and
> available in the ports. There are also other GUI clients available in
> the ports; look in /usr/ports/mail to see what's there.
>
> Finally, I use VM, which is a mail program that runs inside of
> Emacs. If you use emacs, you might want to give it a look.
>
> > I apologize for posting with OE.
>
> No need to apologies - the mail came through nicely formatted, as
> plain text only. That's all we ask for.
>
> <mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> http://www.mired.org/consulting.html
> Independent WWW/Perforce/FreeBSD/Unix consultant, email for more
information.

I am attempting to use Pine with fetchmail and sendmail over a cable modem
to my ISP.

There is some basic setting that I am unaware of. I now can send mail and
newsgroup messages out over the internet, but the return address is
incorrect. It uses my pc account login ID, gschenk, as the left side of my
address instead of my ISP account name of gwschenk. Where is this
configured? It doesn't seem to be setup in .pinerc or .fetchmailrc. Is it in
sendmail somewhere?

The fetchmail man page says that sendmail needs to be listening on port 25.
When I run <ps auxw | grep sendmail > the output is:

root 102 0.0 1.8 2760 2196 ?? Ss 2:45PM 0:00.14 sendmail: accepting
connections (sendmail)

smmsp 105 0.0 1.7 2660 2180 ?? Is 2:45PM 0:00.01 sendmail: Queue
runner@00:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue (sendmai

Shouldn't it indicate port 25 somewhere? How do I know I have a port 25? How
do I know it is listening at port 25?

Could I have the wrong path set up in Pine for the INBOX? I'm using
/var/mail/gschenk.

I've followed the instructions in Chapter 25 of FreeBSD Unleashed. Annelise
Anderson barely mentions email in her book. I'm beginning to understand why.
Is there another source that is better at clarifying this matter? Does The
Complete FreeBSD cover this subject better? Do I need professional
assistance to set up email? I'd better end this message here as I feel a
major whine coming on! :)

Gary