Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 12:19:43 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ex/vi version 1.79 now available for anonymous ftp.

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> Our /usr/bin/vi is already a little rusty.  I would really like it if
> somebody takes the stab and upgrades it.

	Two direct consequences:

	1. Perl 5.003_smth goes from ports to main tree --
	   packed as a big shared library, + a 8k /usr/bin/perl;
	   and /usr/bin/vi and all other programs using Perl5's
	   embedded features will use that shared lib.

	2. Old and rusty perl4 goes to Attic.

	Why so many people don't like this to happen (for years) --
	who knows?  As for me, Perl is as great as Tcl is, both
	are useful.

--
		Best,
			Andrew Stesin