Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 1999 12:00:46 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>, gegm@netidea.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Home Network

Rick Knebel:

gregm@netidea.com:
 |Yes you'll need a hub and ethernet cards for each.

Unless the Mac doesn't offer a 10base2 (thinnet coax) network card, you
don't necessarily need a hub.  For 10baseT (twisted pair; RJ45) you would
need a hub.  But here and at my folks' house, we just run coax through the
walls to all the boxes.  No hubs required.

If you haven't bought hardware yet (you probably have -- it's been a while
since your post), simplest route is to buy combo cards (support both
10base2 and 10baseT), and then just use whatever is most convenient at the
time.  Two machines back-to-back you can use RJ45, but with 3 or more you
need to add a hub, or just use coax.

Randall