Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 1996 00:04:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
Cc:        Jean-Marc Frailong <jmf@free-gate.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ISC dhcp, AF_UNSPEC & bpf bugs

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, David Greenman wrote:
> >I am currently trying to port the ISC DHCP server to FreeBSD. In the
> > [ ... ]
> >1. When sending a packet via BPF, the ether type gets byte-swapped.
>
>    This issue keeps coming up - I think it was the AppleTalk people the last
> time. I personally could care less which way it is and don't have an opinion.

Since user applications should _always_ use htons or nstoh (I don't believe
anyone has ever disputed that), the libary and system calls should _always_
return network order.

So system/system or system/library calls should _always_ expect to receive
their natural byte order (network) and not use a user (application) level
function (nstoh).

What could possibly cause you to decide otherwise?

Now, I can see where a specific application might have trouble deciding
whether it was user level or not but bpf should not have any such confusion.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                      714 443 4172
 DPC Systems