Date:      23 Apr 2001 12:16:44 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Impact of globbing vulnerability in ftpd

Victor Sudakov <sudakov@sibptus.tomsk.ru> writes:
> I do not quite understand the impact of the globbing vulnerability.

There was an exploitable buffer overflow in the globbing code.

> As far as I understand, it can be exploited only after a user has
> logged in, so ftpd is already chrooted

Not necessarily.

>                                        and running with the uid of
> the user at the moment.  What serious trouble can an attacker
> cause under these conditions?

Run arbitrary code on the target machine, which may perform operations
(such as creating new directories to store warez) which the FTP server
normally doesn't allow the user to perform, or even exploit a local
root compromise.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org