Date:      Thu, 11 May 2006 13:54:45 +0200
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        kama <kama@pvp.se>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux_base Gentoo.

Quoting kama <kama@pvp.se> (from Thu, 11 May 2006 10:14:25 +0200 (CEST)):

> Why do we not use gentoo as the default linuxbase?
>
> Its so easy to set up, no dependencies. This is how I install it. (No
> port needed)
>
> fetch  =20
> ftp://mirror.of.choice/pub/os/gentoo/releases/x86/2006.0/stages/stage3-x86=
-2006.0.tar.bz2

> mkdir /compat/linux
> cd /compat/linux
> tar xjpf /path/to/stage3-x86-2006.0.tar.bz2
> cp /etc/resolv.conf etc
>
> Thats it.

Did you tried to use acroread (and does it find the right lpr binary)? =20
Did you made sure the right devices are accessed? I can assure you, =20
that there's more to it than just unpacking a linux distro into =20
/compat/linux.

> After that you can 'chroot /compat/linux /bin/bash' and start using
> emerge to install portages. I have not used emerge to compile a new kernel

That's (providing a complete linux system) not the purpose of the =20
default linux base port. The purpose of the default linux base port is =20
to provide an environment, where we can run most linux programs =20
(together with the help of some other linux infrastructure ports). =20
That's not "all" linux programs on purpose! It's the same reason why =20
we don't install GNOME or KDE or <whatever> by default.

> and world yet. Dont know if I never will need that either. rm
> /compat/linux and unpack a newer version of gentoo.
>
> Some things are borken. like, you cant ping from the chrooted env, but
> wget works. We really need to get a updated versions of the linux
> syscalls. Unfortunately I dont have the knowledge and time to get into
> that work. (As most of the peoples)

We have several proposals in the Google Summer of Code for this. We're =20
in the process of reviewing them.

> I have used this setup for quite some time now (a year or so) and use it
> when developing linuxbinaries. I also run gameservers with this
> installation method.

If you don't like the default linux base, you don't have to use it. =20
And you are free to submit your own ports. But if you want to send in =20
a linux base replacement, I suggest you make yourself familiar with =20
the way the current linux ports work (feel free to ask questions here).

> At least we will get rid of the compatibility problems with binaries not
> working anymore on the old linuxbases.

We're in the QA process of an update of the default linux base to =20
Fedora Core 3. We haven't used a newer one to no break something. When =20
FC3 is the new default, work will be spend on updating to a newer FC =20
release. FC5 is out of the loop ATM, since it doesn't work with the =20
current kernel part of the linuxolator. ATM we're evaluating if it is =20
possible to use FC4 until the kernel part is updated.

Bye,
Alexander.

--=20
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander @ Leidinger.net: PGP ID =3D B0063FE7